Second Voyage

: The Arabian Nights Entertainments

I had resolved, as you know, on my return from my first voyage, to

spend the rest of my days quietly in Bagdad, but very soon I grew tired

of such an idle life and longed once more to find myself upon the sea.

I procured, therefore, such goods as were suitable for the places I

intended to visit, and embarked for the second time in a good ship with

other merchants whom I knew to be honourable men. We went from island<
r />
to island, often making excellent bargains, until one day we landed at

a spot which, though covered with fruit trees and abounding in springs

of excellent water, appeared to possess neither houses nor people.

While my companions wandered here and there gathering flowers and fruit

I sat down in a shady place, and, having heartily enjoyed the

provisions and the wine I had brought with me, I fell asleep, lulled by

the murmur of a clear brook which flowed close by.

How long I slept I know not, but when I opened my eyes and started to

my feet I perceived with horror that I was alone and that the ship was

gone. I rushed to and fro like one distracted, uttering cries of

despair, and when from the shore I saw the vessel under full sail just

disappearing upon the horizon, I wished bitterly enough that I had been

content to stay at home in safety. But since wishes could do me no

good, I presently took courage and looked about me for a means of

escape. When I had climbed a tall tree I first of all directed my

anxious glances towards the sea; but, finding nothing hopeful there, I

turned landward, and my curiosity was excited by a huge dazzling white

object, so far off that I could not make out what it might be.

Descending from the tree I hastily collected what remained of my

provisions and set off as fast as I could go towards it. As I drew

near it seemed to me to be a white ball of immense size and height, and

when I could touch it, I found it marvellously smooth and soft. As it

was impossible to climb it--for it presented no foot-hold--I walked

round about it seeking some opening, but there was none. I counted,

however, that it was at least fifty paces round. By this time the sun

was near setting, but quite suddenly it fell dark, something like a

huge black cloud came swiftly over me, and I saw with amazement that it

was a bird of extraordinary size which was hovering near. Then I

remembered that I had often heard the sailors speak of a wonderful bird

called a roc, and it occurred to me that the white object which had so

puzzled me must be its egg.

Sure enough the bird settled slowly down upon it, covering it with its

wings to keep it warm, and I cowered close beside the egg in such a

position that one of the bird's feet, which was as large as the trunk

of a tree, was just in front of me. Taking off my turban I bound

myself securely to it with the linen in the hope that the roc, when it

took flight next morning, would bear me away with it from the desolate

island. And this was precisely what did happen. As soon as the dawn

appeared the bird rose into the air carrying me up and up till I could

no longer see the earth, and then suddenly it descended so swiftly that

I almost lost consciousness. When I became aware that the roc had

settled and that I was once again upon solid ground, I hastily unbound

my turban from its foot and freed myself, and that not a moment too

soon; for the bird, pouncing upon a huge snake, killed it with a few

blows from its powerful beak, and seizing it up rose into the air once

more and soon disappeared from my view. When I had looked about me I

began to doubt if I had gained anything by quitting the desolate island.

The valley in which I found myself was deep and narrow, and surrounded

by mountains which towered into the clouds, and were so steep and rocky

that there was no way of climbing up their sides. As I wandered about,

seeking anxiously for some means of escaping from this trap, I observed

that the ground was strewed with diamonds, some of them of an

astonishing size. This sight gave me great pleasure, but my delight

was speedily damped when I saw also numbers of horrible snakes so long

and so large that the smallest of them could have swallowed an elephant

with ease. Fortunately for me they seemed to hide in caverns of the

rocks by day, and only came out by night, probably because of their

enemy the roc.

All day long I wandered up and down the valley, and when it grew dusk I

crept into a little cave, and having blocked up the entrance to it with

a stone, I ate part of my little store of food and lay down to sleep,

but all through the night the serpents crawled to and fro, hissing

horribly, so that I could scarcely close my eyes for terror. I was

thankful when the morning light appeared, and when I judged by the

silence that the serpents had retreated to their dens I came

tremblingly out of my cave and wandered up and down the valley once

more, kicking the diamonds contemptuously out of my path, for I felt

that they were indeed vain things to a man in my situation. At last,

overcome with weariness, I sat down upon a rock, but I had hardly

closed my eyes when I was startled by something which fell to the

ground with a thud close beside me.

It was a huge piece of fresh meat, and as I stared at it several more

pieces rolled over the cliffs in different places. I had always

thought that the stories the sailors told of the famous valley of

diamonds, and of the cunning way which some merchants had devised for

getting at the precious stones, were mere travellers' tales invented to

give pleasure to the hearers, but now I perceived that they were surely

true. These merchants came to the valley at the time when the eagles,

which keep their eyries in the rocks, had hatched their young. The

merchants then threw great lumps of meat into the valley. These,

falling with so much force upon the diamonds, were sure to take up some

of the precious stones with them, when the eagles pounced upon the meat

and carried it off to their nests to feed their hungry broods. Then

the merchants, scaring away the parent birds with shouts and outcries,

would secure their treasures. Until this moment I had looked upon the

valley as my grave, for I had seen no possibility of getting out of it

alive, but now I took courage and began to devise a means of escape. I

began by picking up all the largest diamonds I could find and storing

them carefully in the leathern wallet which had held my provisions;

this I tied securely to my belt. I then chose the piece of meat which

seemed most suited to my purpose, and with the aid of my turban bound

it firmly to my back; this done I laid down upon my face and awaited

the coming of the eagles. I soon heard the flapping of their mighty

wings above me, and had the satisfaction of feeling one of them seize

upon my piece of meat, and me with it, and rise slowly towards his

nest, into which he presently dropped me. Luckily for me the merchants

were on the watch, and setting up their usual outcries they rushed to

the nest scaring away the eagle. Their amazement was great when they

discovered me, and also their disappointment, and with one accord they

fell to abusing me for having robbed them of their usual profit.

Addressing myself to the one who seemed most aggrieved, I said: "I am

sure, if you knew all that I have suffered, you would show more

kindness towards me, and as for diamonds, I have enough here of the

very best for you and me and all your company." So saying I showed

them to him. The others all crowded round me, wondering at my

adventures and admiring the device by which I had escaped from the

valley, and when they had led me to their camp and examined my

diamonds, they assured me that in all the years that they had carried

on their trade they had seen no stones to be compared with them for

size and beauty.

I found that each merchant chose a particular nest, and took his chance

of what he might find in it. So I begged the one who owned the nest to

which I had been carried to take as much as he would of my treasure,

but he contented himself with one stone, and that by no means the

largest, assuring me that with such a gem his fortune was made, and he

need toil no more. I stayed with the merchants several days, and then

as they were journeying homewards I gladly accompanied them. Our way

lay across high mountains infested with frightful serpents, but we had

the good luck to escape them and came at last to the seashore. Thence

we sailed to the isle of Rohat where the camphor trees grow to such a

size that a hundred men could shelter under one of them with ease. The

sap flows from an incision made high up in the tree into a vessel hung

there to receive it, and soon hardens into the substance called

camphor, but the tree itself withers up and dies when it has been so


In this same island we saw the rhinoceros, an animal which is smaller

than the elephant and larger than the buffalo. It has one horn about a

cubit long which is solid, but has a furrow from the base to the tip.

Upon it is traced in white lines the figure of a man. The rhinoceros

fights with the elephant, and transfixing him with his horn carries him

off upon his head, but becoming blinded with the blood of his enemy, he

falls helpless to the ground, and then comes the roc, and clutches them

both up in his talons and takes them to feed his young. This doubtless

astonishes you, but if you do not believe my tale go to Rohat and see

for yourself. For fear of wearying you I pass over in silence many

other wonderful things which we saw in this island. Before we left I

exchanged one of my diamonds for much goodly merchandise by which I

profited greatly on our homeward way. At last we reached Balsora,

whence I hastened to Bagdad, where my first action was to bestow large

sums of money upon the poor, after which I settled down to enjoy

tranquilly the riches I had gained with so much toil and pain.

Having thus related the adventures of his second voyage, Sindbad again

bestowed a hundred sequins upon Hindbad, inviting him to come again on

the following day and hear how he fared upon his third voyage. The

other guests also departed to their homes, but all returned at the same

hour next day, including the porter, whose former life of hard work and

poverty had already begun to seem to him like a bad dream. Again after

the feast was over did Sindbad claim the attention of his guests and

began the account of his third voyage.